Viticulture Technical Officer
Location: SA, Australia
Enrich Your Everyday
At Accolade Wines, our purpose is to enrich everyday moments through our amazing wine brands. It goes without saying that everything we do as an organisation and as individuals is in service of fulfilling this purpose.
As one of the world’s leading wine companies, our award-winning portfolio includes loved brands such as Hardys, Grant Burge, St Hallett, House of Arras, Petaluma, Banrock Station, Mud House, Jam Shed, Tatachilla, Brookland Valley and many more.
The driving force behind our business is our people, their expertise, their passion and their professionalism. With over 1,400 dedicated employees in Australia, the UK, Europe, Asia, South Africa, New Zealand and North and South America, it is our teamwork that sets us apart.
Reporting to Regional Viticulture Manager Riverland, this role is responsible for 3 to 15 vintage direct reports.
Your Key Accountabilities
• To provide an in-field Viticultural Technical and Grower Liaison service to Accolade Wines Australia and CCW’s contract grape growers in the Riverland and Lower Murray regions of South Australia.
• To assist growers in improving management techniques to enable the production of grapes of the required quality to meet Accolade Wines Australia domestic and export markets.
• To Prepare and maintain contract grower records.
• To undertake Safe Grape audits for the grower group.
• To organise and schedule trucking operations for fruit travelling out from and into the region.
• Undertake data analysis and reporting as required by the AW Viticulture group.
• To aid the intake management of fruit into the Berri.
Other Accountabilities Include
• Provide guidance, up to date information on Company quality requirements and assistance in viticultural management to the Company’s Riverland.
• To develop and actively participate in the co-ordination and organising of Company extension programmes for grape growers.
• To check contract details in the field and ensure contract growers information is up to date and correct, including ensuring the integrity of the Esri mapping system
• Assist the Regional Viticulturist Riverland & Sunraysia with the collation of Riverland crop estimates.
• Monitor vine and crop conditions of Riverland and Sunraysia contracted grape growers.
• To assist with the organisation and co-ordination of pre-vintage vineyard assessments, streaming of fruit, crop monitoring, maturity studies and harvest programmes.
• To provide support for the vintage planning and programming team.
• Represent the Company in local viticultural groups/associations as appropriate and beneficial for the Company.
• Organise and book trucking contract carriers to and from the region as required
• Organise and work with partner wineries that from time to time we may sell or purchase grapes from.
• Daily supervision of vintage assessor staff, ensuring assessment standards are met, motivation is maintained and safety is foremost in everyone’s mind
Your Knowledge and Skills
• Calm temperament
• Enjoy contribution and participation within small teams
• Appreciation and empathy for our diverse growers.
• Proficient in Excel, Word, Powerpoint and prepared to become familiar with Esri ArcGis information systems
• Delivery of training or information sessions
Coaching and growing talent
• Demonstrates a real belief in the potential of others and takes active steps to encourage others to achieve their potential
• Consistently adopts a coaching approach with direct team
• Takes every opportunity to coach and develop colleagues
• Challenges behaviours which negatively impact on individual development
• Develops team to a consistently high standard in preparation for next role
• Actively seeks out relevant development solutions to encourage development of self
• Applies and adapts strategies to meet long-term organisational objectives Strategic Agility
• Focuses time and resources to meet the mid- and long-term demands of the business despite immediate pressures
• Spends time on the overview and creates space to reflect and think
• Steps back from complex situations to gain the full picture
• Consistently questions the value of all work tasks and eliminates non-value-added activity
• Seeks out a variety of information sources to aid and challenge own thinking
• Generates new strategic ideas to develop or realise new commercial opportunities
• Is highly commercially aware
• Knows how things get done and uses this to enhance business performance
• Learns from observations and an analysis of others experience
• Builds network of key external information sources
• Demonstrates awareness of external and internal business developments and their effect on own area
• Seeks to identify new opportunities for developing the business both internally and externally
• Communicates business performance and trends and ensures impacts are recognised and acted on
• Actively recognises strong business contributions from direct reports and the wider team
• 1-2 years in a similar role required, preferably with a sound viticultural or horticultural background
Physical and Other Requirements
• Capable of working outdoors in all weather conditions
• Sufficient dexterity and agility to demonstrate or perform manual manipulation of vines
• Sufficient mobility to walk in any vineyard terrain.
Our Company Values